Mercedes-Benz augments the legendary G‑Class line-up to include a highly purist variant. With a striking exterior and optionally available Professional Off-Road package, the new G 350 d Professional is ideally suited to gruelling off-road use and professional applications. Compared with its predecessor, the G 350 d Professional offers a new, functional interior and luxurious ride comfort. All the other G-Class models benefit from a technology update for the infotainment, navigation and communications. Additional options for the interior and exterior further enhance the individuality and comfort of the classic cross-country vehicle.
Making its debut as a purpose-built cross-country vehicle for robust off-road use in 1979, the G‑Class has been further developed into the luxurious all-rounder. Ongoing design and technology modifications make the legendary “G” fit for the future while piquing the interest of the worldwide, loyal fan base. The current model line-up ranges from the all-rounder with V6 diesel engine to the range-topping V12 model from Mercedes-AMG.
With the new G 350 d Professional the Stuttgart-based automotive manufacturer now once again has a cross-country vehicle in its portfolio which, thanks to its pronounced purist design, stands out from the other G-Class models, making it the ideal companion for challenging off-road use and adventurous, off-the-mainstream expeditions. Like all the other G‑Class models the G 350 d Professional also benefits from the sturdy ladder-type frame body, permanent all-wheel drive with off-road ratio and three electrically selectable, 100‑percent differential locks.
V6 diesel engine with 180 kW (245 hp) output
The V6 diesel engine with 2987 cc of displacement offers superb traction. While the engine output of the G 350 d Professional was increased by 33 percent to 180 kW (245 hp) compared with the outgoing G 300 CDI Professional, the NEDC fuel consumption has been reduced by 15.4 percent to 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres. This is equivalent to CO2 emissions of 261 g/km. The 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission combines excellent ride comfort and contemporary efficiency.
Full data at a glance:
|G 350 d Professional|
|Number of cylinders/arrangement||6/V|
|Rated output (kW/hp at rpm)||180/245 at 3600|
|Rated torque (Nm at rpm)||600 at 1600-2400|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s)||8.8|
|Top speed (km/h)||160|
|Fuel consumption (combined) from (l/100 km)||9.9|
|Combined CO2 emissions from (g/km)||261|
Visually, the G 350 d Professional comes across as a robust off-roader capable of mastering any challenge. Its purist design is characterised by the matt black radiator grille and the black painted light-alloy wheels in 5‑spoke design. All-terrain tyres in size 265/70 R 16 ensure perfect traction even for harsh off-road use. The Professional outperforms its technical basis, the G 350 d, off the beaten track in various disciplines. Thanks to its modified suspension, which provide it with an additional 10 millimetres of ground clearance (245 instead of 235 millimetres), it takes difficult terrain in its stride. The angle of approach/departure of 36 degrees and 39 degrees respectively (G 350 d: 30/30 degrees) ensures mobility even under extreme conditions.
Key off-road figures at a glance:
|G 350 d Professional|
|Slope climbing ability||100 percent *|
|Breakover angle||24 degrees|
|Tipping angle||54 percent|
|Angle of approach/departure||36/39 degrees|
|Fording depth||600 millimetres|
|Ground clearance||245 millimetres|
* Depending on the surface and ground conditions
Thanks to the payload of 592 kilograms, the G 350 d Professional is also ideally prepared for challenging transport tasks. It is likewise ideally suited as a towing vehicle thanks to a towing capacity of up to 3200 kilograms.
Interior with contemporary dashboard
In the interior, the G 350 d Professional essentially differs from its predecessor, the G 300 CDI Professional, by virtue of its contemporary dashboard. The outgoing model was based on the functionally oriented W461 series, whereas the new model takes its technical cue from the more comfortable W463. Thus Professional customers benefit from all the advantages, such as the high-quality equipment and appointments, greater comfort and better ergonomics. A multifunction steering wheel also comes as standard, as does the electric steering column that can be adjusted for height and reach, as well as partially power-adjustable front seats. The practical aspects of off-road use are not neglected in any way, as the floor with anti-slip surface and drain demonstrates: dirt can easily be sprayed off and the interior thoroughly cleaned.
Numerous extras are available for customers that prefer to use the G 350 d Professional for the daily rigours of harsh off-roading:
- A steel front bumper with preparation for a cable winch is available as an option
- The optional Professional Off-Road package includes a protective grille for the front bi-xenon headlamps; a protective grille is also available for the indicators as a further option. Added to this is dark-tinted glass for the rear side windows and the rear window. This package also includes the load compartment in wood finish and the preparation for a hands-free system. A roof rack with ladder further enhances the capabilities of the G 350 d Professional
- Side running boards on the left and right enhance practicality and enable objects to be lashed easily to the roof rack, which is included with the Professional Off-Road package
- The Load Protection package is designed to ensure optimum safety during transportation. The package includes a cargo net, load compartment cover and a fixed trailer coupling
Two non-metallic paint finishes and eleven attractive metallic paint finishes are available for the G 350 d Professional. The off-road icon expresses its unmistakable style with exclusive special paints such as desert sand or china blue, reminiscent of “Otto”, the G-Class owned by Gunther Holtorf, who impressively demonstrated the capabilities of the G-Class during his world tour.
The sales release for the G 350 d Professional starts on 1 June; the market launch begins in September 2016. The price is €79,968 (incl. 19% VAT for Germany).
Technology updates for the infotainment, navigation and communications
All the other variants of the Mercedes-Benz G‑Class are now also fully up to date in terms of connectivity thanks to numerous technology updates. The equipment already familiar from numerous other Mercedes models raises the comfort and convenience for occupants to a wholly new level. The latest telematics generation includes, for instance:
- COMAND Online including high-resolution 20.3 cm (8-inch) colour display and WLAN hotspot
- Mercedes-Benz emergency call system (available in 20 European countries as well as in the USA, Canada and China)
- Live Traffic Information for up-to-the-minute, accurate traffic data
- Smartphone integration consisting of Apple CarPlayTM and Android Auto
- Car telephony in the armrest for telephony and internet connectivity with separate SIM card reader
- Universal telephony package in the armrest with universal interface, enhanced telephone function, charging function and exterior aerial for optimum reception
- Media Interface cable kit for universal interface in the centre console consisting of micro-USB, iPod® dock and iPod® Lightning connector
The optional anthracite poplar trim is new for the G 500 and AMG models; customers can select this trim option as an alternative at no extra charge. The exterior of the cross-country vehicle legend can be upgraded further with matt black painted light-alloy wheels in 5‑spoke design with 265/70 R 16 tyres as well as the optional roof rack.
The market launch for the revised G-Class models starts in September 2016. Prices start from €90,636.35 (incl. 19% VAT for Germany).